About Me

My photo
Blogger, baker, museum-goer and art lover. Not from around here. Likes: photography, single malt whisky and good writing. Dislikes: apostrophe abuse, blue cheese, and people who litter.

Friday 8 February 2008

Day 2

Thursday, February 7th.

If this ends up being the best day of our experiment, then I will think of it fondly, because truly it was a lovely day.

In the morning, I went to Il Bacino and had a simple but delicious breakfast of poached egg and bacon on a buttery toasted ciabatta. My only complaint is that it is on the expensive side, but the quality goes a long way towards justifying the price. The restaurant was actually a detour, as I was there to check out its deli and ingredients on offer. It does not disappoint, the deli counter has a wide range of meats, cheeses, and olives. Three bowls of kalamata olives (my favourite) were available, each in a different marinade. Heavenly. I got some butter for baking with later, and a baguette, as well as some olives with red pepper. Their website doesn't appear to be up and running yet, but on its way, and if you google it, you will find their contact details.

I got my lemons and eggs at Adam's Apple greengrocer on Allerton Road. Prices appear to have gone up a bit, but then lemons in winter may well be more expensive to cultivate. Shows how little I know about agriculture though. Husband needed shaving gel, which I found at a nice pharmacy at the corner of Green Lane and Allerton Road.

The lemon tarts turned out reasonably well, I hope the restaurant is satisfied with the one I brought over. And as yesterday was our fifth anniversary of getting together, we went to 60 Hope Street for dinner. The meal was one of the best I've had in Liverpool, rivalled only by the cooking at London Carriage Works. Each course was very well presented and tasted delicious. We finished with a whisky nightcap, Macallan for him and Highland Park for me.

All in all a very good day, and I look forward to returning to Il Bacino.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hello, it's taliesin signing in :)

As I said on the shed, I am so impressed by you for doing this. It's something that we should all try harder to do, but for environmental reasons but also for economic reasons. It may be easier and cheaper to buy food in bulk from a supermarket, but I think it's much better to keep the local economy going as much as possible.

I'd love to see some photos of the food you buy and he shops you visit. Will there be any possibility of this?

Rachel said...

Hello there :^).

I will try to bring my camera with me next time I go shopping on Allerton Road. Some of the websites do have pictures on them, such as the Cheese Company. I'll see if they'll let me take pictures at Il Bacino, as it's really nicely laid out inside, and I don't know when their site will be up.

Thanks for your support.