About Me

My photo
Blogger, baker, museum-goer and art lover. Not from around here. Likes: photography, single malt whisky and good writing. Dislikes: apostrophe abuse, blue cheese, and people who litter.

Friday 5 June 2009

wanderings in wavertree

Wavertree is the area of Liverpool that borders my neighbourhood on the north. It's quite student-y and has rows of late 19th and 20th c. terraced houses typical of northern English cities. It still has a high street, but one that may have seen more lively days. There is still an independent bakery, Sandra Dee's (no website), which I heard of through their appearance at a Slow Food Bread event this spring and at the Lark Lane farmer's market of next-to-last post. I've enjoyed the bread I've had from them, it's fresh, artisan, and pretty affordable. I tried to go again this morning, but it hadn't opened by its stated 9am opening time. I might try again later on my way into town.

A fixture in the student-land on Smithdown Road was the White House coffee lounge, which has been taken over by new owners and relaunched as Oomoo, which I think may be a word coming from the Pacific Islands. I didn't hear the owner say which one though. It's got new wooden furniture and leather couches, with clean lines and brightly painted walls. There seems to be a new outdoor seating area as well. It's got free wi-fi and friendly employees, two good reasons to visit. Quality coffee and a very tasty savoury muffin with basil and roasted red peppers are two further reasons. Sadly my blueberry muffin this morning, though large, wasn't as fresh and on the dry side.

No comments: